Abortion - part 1: column for the Richmond Times Dispatch, 2/11/12

My wife rolled her eyes when I told her I was writing a column on abortion. This should be a warning sign for me. After 17 years of marriage, I know that things generally go badly when she rolls her eyes. But this is something I need to write, mainly because it’s something I need to work out for myself; maybe I can connect with others who are working it out as well.
 I’ve grown up in a post-Roe v. Wade world, a world where abortion is legal, accessible and safe, where women no longer have to submit their bodies to filthy back alley abortion clinics, where the victim of rape and incest is no longer forced to give birth to the child of their attacker. I believe that there are some reasons for legalized abortion and in this post-Christian era, I also realize that abortion is here to stay. But I’m sure others share with me a great sadness about how abortion is many times an act of desperation for the young and poor and how it is sometimes based on prejudices against the unborn and their quality of life. I’m also willing to bet that other supporters of abortion rights share my sadness at how our claims to autonomy and freedom can often come at very high cost to others. 
I cannot blame anyone who has been the victim of rape or incest for having an abortion, and I could never imagine forcing one of these victims to carry the child to term. I cannot blame anyone in poverty for having an abortion. Barely able to keep their family fed, wondering how in God’s name they’re going to support another mouth to fill, I can’t blame them. Male, employed and financially comfortable, I can’t speak against abortion done out of desperation. What I can speak against are the arguments for abortion which involve us more deeply in a culture that increasingly focuses on the individual, not the community, as the most important component of our society. That positions freedom and autonomy as a right that trumps all others, even when it hurts others. There are some pro-choice arguments that tear at our social fabric, loosen our grip on the value of life and our responsibility to others at all stages of life, not just the beginning.
Some of the support for abortion comes from the notion that it would de-value human life to bring a child into a world that does not love them, to families who will not care for them. I see these same arguments at play in my nursing home work - it all comes down to quality of life prejudices. There is a presumption held by many in the able-bodied community that a life lived in dependence, in the nursing home, is a life not worth living. Come to the nursing home and ask these dependent people if they would rather be dead. I spend a lot of time in nursing homes - I can tell you that the answer would almost always be “no”. People who justify abortion by assuming life as an orphan is a life not worth living are similarly mistaken. The difference between prejudices against the unborn and prejudices against the elderly, though, is that it is legal to act on prejudices against the unborn, to end a life that is judged to be worthless. Studies show that we tend to be very poor judges when it comes to someone else’s quality of life – young and old - our tendency is to undervalue rather than overvalue that quality. A better approach would be to assume that life is always worth living unless the person who is currently living that life says it’s not – in the womb, in the nursing home and everywhere in between.
So this is a pro-choice argument that needs to be retired – at best, it makes those who use it look ignorant and prejudiced, at worst, cold and uncaring. But as a society that should hold the weak and innocent in special regard, there are other arguments of which we should be critical – more about those next week. I probably should have listened to my wife.

Comments

  1. Jim, I think you hit some really good points and your understanding for both sides of the debate and lack of vitriol are highly commendable. As someone who considers himself progressive but not enthusiastic about abortion (is anyone really?), I think one of the best ways to improve the problem is to simply expand access to birth control. If birth control is used, there is an extremely high likelihood that an abortion will never be necessary in the first place. That said, the problem is that a lot of people who say they oppose choice also oppose the free or cheap provision of contraceptives, education of young people about safe conduct, and easy access to counseling to prevent the poor and young from being in these situations in the first place. It wouldn't eliminate it for sure, but it would be a step in the right direction. As evidenced in the brouhaha over this contraception issue, it seems difficult to even have a conversation about it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JGW - I totally agree, very frustrating. I have seen studies that show abstinence based programs decrease sexual activity in teens, but anyone who's been a teen should know that easy access to contraception is always going to be necessary.

      Delete
  2. Really? I had always heard the opposite, but maybe we've just been reading different things. I had always read that abstinence only education was generally ineffective at reducing those behaviors, and based on personal experiences, kids don't seem to respond well to it. It's a debate worth having though for sure.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstinence-only_sex_education#Effectiveness http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17885460

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - it's easy to find studies to support abstinence education - just look at the websites selling that curriculum! Seriously, I looked at the data myself after your comment and although I can find evidence that it changes teens stated views of early sexual activity, I can't find proof that it actually impacts the acitivity itself...

      Delete
  3. Curious to see where you take this next week. I agree with your assertion that the pro-choice argument that a life may or may not have much worth is not a convincing or very ethical argument. I believe souls choose many of the circumstances of their lives, and the souls that choose the most difficult lives often have good reasons for doing so. Those who choose to be aborted, also have good reasons - perhaps to help others in some way. I don't see abortion as a tragedy to the soul because the soul is eternal and will have countless opportunities to come back. I can't imagine a God so powerless or cruel as to deny a soul who wanted to come here that opportunity.

    I can tell you have a good heart, Dr. Wright. I'm guessing and you've certainly hinted that your Christian indoctrination tortures you sometimes with beliefs that go against what your heart tells you. It's those twin beliefs of inherent sinfulness and separation from God that make us distrust our hearts and listen instead to primitive men who lived thousands of years ago who needed explanations for the cosmos and weather and geology,etc. and that God is out of a job. Bishop Spong in "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" talks about an exile similar to when Bible God bailed out on the Jews when they were marched off to Babylon. Bible God has bailed out on us because we've explained him away. I can't help wonder if you mean something similar when you refer to a "post-Christian era." Christians need to go back to the original writings of Paul when he inadvertently invented a new religion and take note of his writings about the "spirit" and how that spirit (God) is part of all of us. The roots of the movement hold the long corrupted truth that we are not separate from God. 'I AM that I AM.' 'I am one with the Father and you are my brothers.' 'Inasmuch as you have done unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me...' There are many references to ONEness with God. We are individuations thereof; aspects of divinity, part of that which is divine, etc. That was Jesus' message. People like you can help bring Christianity out of the shadow of fear and bring an all-encompassing God of love to life. But you have to address those core beliefs of inherent sinfulness and separation. Separation Theology is killing the human race. We are not "here" while God is somewhere "over there." If that is the case, then it makes perfect sense that we should not care anything about this place, this earth, this life we lead, other than to get the heck out of it and get over to wherever God is. But God is right HERE and deep down we all know that.

    Consider reading Dr. Michael Newton's "Journey of Souls" for a different perspective. Keep an open mind, and remember Jesus' words when he said, "Who do the people say that I am?" They thought he was a reincarnation, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comments Pat. Although we're a good distance apart in our theology, I appreciate your close reading and comments. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. What did you mean by the reference to a "post-Christian era?"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts